Parliamentary Counsel Office
We take pride in high quality drafting and in making legislation accessible to all.
Chief Parliamentary Counsel
- Scheduled website outage 1–3 am Sunday 8 May 2016. More »
- Historical Statutory Regulations 1936–2007 are now available online. More »
- Prime Minister announces appointment of Chief Parliamentary Counsel »
- PCO Legislative Drafting Assistance to Pacific Nations Evaluation Report published. More »
- Historical Bills 1949–2008 are now available online. More »
- Chief Parliamentary Counsel announces that official online legislation now includes legislation in HTML format. More »
- Chief Parliamentary Counsel announces Access to Subordinate Instruments Project (ASIP). More »
We draft legislation to support the Government's legislative programme. Our goal is legislation that is effective, clear, consistent with other legislation, and adheres to legal principle. And we publish legislation online and in hard copy.
Information for agencies that instruct the PCO in the development of legislation.
Resources include the Guide to Working with the PCO, Principles of clear drafting, information on supplying forms and graphics for publication in legislation, and how to notify Legislative Instruments for publication.