Parliamentary Counsel Office
We take pride in high quality drafting and in making legislation accessible to all.
Chief Parliamentary Counsel
- New: read about ASIP, the Access to Subordinate Instruments Project »
- Deputy Chief Parliamentary Counsel (Director Drafting Legislation) appointed. More »
- The PCO's performance measures for 2016/17 and four-year plan for 2016-2020 are now available.
- First revision Bill in Parliament: Contract and Commercial Law Bill. More »
- Historical Statutory Regulations 1936–2007 are now available online. More »
- Prime Minister announces appointment of Chief Parliamentary Counsel »
- Historical Bills 1949–2008 are now available online. More »
We draft legislation to support the Government's legislative programme. Our goal is legislation that is effective, clear, consistent with other legislation, and adheres to legal principle. And we publish legislation online and in hard copy.
Information for agencies that instruct the PCO in the development of legislation.
Resources include the Guide to Working with the PCO, Principles of clear drafting, information on supplying forms and graphics for publication in legislation, and how to notify Legislative Instruments for publication.