Parliamentary Counsel Office
We take pride in high quality drafting and in making legislation accessible to all.
Chief Parliamentary Counsel
- A new version of the clauses for standard elements of Treaty settlement Bills has been released. More »
- Coming in January 2016: official legislation in HTML format. More »
- The updated Legislation Design and Advisory Committee website is live at www.ldac.org.nz »
- The PCO's Annual Report for the 2014/15 year was presented to the House on 21 October 2015. View the report »
- Contract and Commercial Law Bill: submissions wanted on exposure draft »
- Statutes Repeal Bill: submissions wanted on exposure draft »
- Chief Parliamentary Counsel announces Access to Subordinate Instruments Project (ASIP). More »
We draft legislation to support the Government's legislative programme. Our goal is legislation that is effective, clear, consistent with other legislation, and adheres to legal principle. And we publish legislation in hard copy and online.
Information for agencies that instruct the PCO in the development of legislation.
Resources include the Guide to Working with the PCO, Principles of clear drafting, information on supplying forms and graphics for publication in legislation, and how to notify Legislative Instruments for publication.