Parliamentary Counsel Office
We take pride in high quality drafting and in making legislation accessible to all.
Chief Parliamentary Counsel
- Vacancies: Legal and Policy Analysis secondment opportunities »
- The High Court Rules will move to a new location on the New Zealand Legislation website when the Judicature Modernisation Bill is enacted. More »
- The table of legislation waiting to be brought into force by Order in Council (as at 1 July 2016) was presented to the House on 18 August 2016. View the table »
- Deputy Chief Parliamentary Counsel (Director Access to Legislation) appointed. More »
- Read about ASIP, the Access to Subordinate Instruments Project »
We draft legislation to support the Government's legislative programme. Our goal is legislation that is effective, clear, consistent with other legislation, and adheres to legal principle. And we publish legislation online and in hard copy.
Information for agencies that instruct the PCO in the development of legislation.
Resources include the Guide to Working with the PCO, Principles of clear drafting, information on supplying forms and graphics for publication in legislation, and how to notify Legislative Instruments for publication.