Parliamentary Counsel Office
We take pride in high quality drafting and in making legislation accessible to all.
Chief Parliamentary Counsel
- Vacancy: Fixed-term Legislation Design and Advisory Committee Secretary »
- The Chief Parliamentary Counsel's expenses for the 12 months to 30 June 2015 have been published. More »
- New, a poster for instructors showing the steps and time required to transform policy into a Bill: From policy to Parliament »
- The Attorney-General has announced the reappointment of David Noble as Chief Parliamentary Counsel to 6 May 2016. View the media statement »
- The PCO's performance measures for the 2015/16 year are now available.
- We have made some changes to the format of legislation and to the New Zealand Legislation website. More »
We draft legislation to support the Government's legislative programme. Our goal is legislation that is effective, clear, consistent with other legislation, and adheres to legal principle. And we publish legislation in hard copy and online.
Information for agencies that instruct the PCO in the development of legislation.
Resources include the Guide to Working with the PCO, Principles of clear drafting, information on supplying forms and graphics for publication in legislation, and how to notify Legislative Instruments for publication.